Friday, September 5, 2014

Hooley on the Hudson

A Hooley is defined as a party, usually with traditional Irish music and dance.  I went to the Hooley on the Hudson this past week, and it was definitely a good Irish party.  The event is put on by the Ulster County AOH, and they did a terrific job.  It rained a bit in the afternoon, but it didn't seem to effect anyone's spirits.  Admission to the Hooley is free, pints of Guinness are only $5, and there were plenty of vendors with wares and food.  I think I have found my new destination for the Labor Day Weekend.
The music was also fantastic and I got to see my favorite band close out the fest, Black 47.  They did all of their best stuff and closed out with an encore performance of Gloria, by the band Them (Van Morrison), and I Fought the Law, written by Sonny Curtis in 1958. Prior to the encore they closed their set with James Connolly followed by Bridie's song, The Funky Ceili.  Check out the video on Youtube here: Black 47 : Funky Ceili.
I've always enjoyed seeing Black 47 perform in small venues, you can get close to the stage to get a good view, the music is always crisp and clear, and they always put on a great performance.  I closed my eyes for a few moments the other night, during 40 Shades of Blue, and it felt like I was hearing them play for the first time.  They never disappoint.  If you have a chance to go see them before they retire at the end of the year, do it.
A lot of their songs are politically based, some more fun, but always authentically Irish. Songs like James Connolly always seem to unite the crowd.  With their fists held high in the air, you feel proud to be Irish.  I will miss seeing the band play live.  Memorial Day Weekend won't seem the same without them.  Thankfully their music will live on for decades to come.













Continue on to see more pictures.







No comments:

Post a Comment