Friday, April 24, 2015

Down By the Salley Gardens

Down By the Salley Gardens


Down by the salley gardens
my love and I did meet;
She passed the salley gardens
The Garden of Eden 1900 by Hugh Goldwyn Riviere
with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy,
as the leaves grow on the tree;
But I, being young and foolish,
with her would not agree.

In a field by the river
my love and I did stand,
And on my leaning shoulder
she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy,
as the grass grows on the weirs;
But I was young and foolish,
and now am full of tears.

The Salley Gardens

by Wayne L Murphy

That is one way to see it
but this a way, might be
As she left the garden, I
gazed standing 'neath a tree
A young woman, hair of gold
a smile that lit the sky
upon approach I wondered
I've never seen thee, why?

She gave me a wink, then she
flashed at me her sweet smile,
Sir, if you've a moment,
please come sit for a while
And right there where I'd lost love,
in the salley garden
I found it once again, my
heart would cease to harden

Poem-a-Day challenge; Day 24: Write a parody or satire based on a famous poem. Take a favorite poem of the past, and re-write it on humorous, mocking, or sharp-witted lines. Use your poem to make fun of the original (in the vein of a parody), or turn the form and manner of the original into a vehicle for making points about something else (more of a satire – though the dividing lines get rather confused and thin at times).

I chose to add to Yeats' poem, and give it a brighter ending.  They are meant to complement each other, and be read together.

2 comments:

  1. Love it...
    I have a departure today- a story about death:
    See my words at:
    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete